Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday, 3/29/09 in Dotzheim

Not sure if I've shared much about our new community yet. We live in an area of Wiesbaden known as Dotzheim. Our physical address is till Wiesbaden, but Wiesbaden is a cluster of little neighborhoods, most locals refer to it as Dotzheim. This town has it's own little museum and we ventured over on a rainy Sunday to check it out. Dotzheim has a history dating back to the Roman Empire and the museum has several artifacts on display.

Our own house is located on a very busy one-way street right in the downtown area. We have our own little courtyard with some very charming little plants scattered throughout. We have no garage, but a driveway with a gate we have to manually open and shut. There is never any street parking available.

Last night we moved our clocks ahead for daylight savings time. The US sprang forward about a month ago. This is great news here cause it apparently stays light till 9 or 10pm at night! We are looking forward to exploring the marvelous bike trail system that exists all over this city and beyond. There are many bike routes that almost completely avoid traffic.

So to recap events of the last week:

Last Sunday I gave my first Music Together Demo at the base library. It was reasonably well attended and drew some very enthusiastic response. This bodes well for me being able to establish MT as a permanent fixture here. We then took my colleague Marina (teaches MT in Frankfurt) and her daughter, Emily to the base dining hall for dinner. We had a great visit (inspite of the food)!

Monday was a "down day" for me. I worked on our taxes and pretty much slept in. Weekend before was pretty packed. Spent Saturday with the Schroeders riding the train to and from Michelstadt for their infamous Easter Egg Market. Sunday was the Demo.

Tuesday I got a little more done. Met Debbie at the gym in the morning. I try to get there every morning. Tuesday night was our German class. Lew couldn't go. He traveled to Illesheim to visit one of his schools.

Wednesday I went on an outing with the "girls." Picked up Debra at the hotel and drove to Debbie's house in Naurod for breakfast. Then we went shopping for cheap household goods. Back home in time to pack the car and head to Bad Soden for Marina's class. I took my keyboard this time. The kids seemed to enjoy my playing inspite of all the mistakes!

Friday went to base career fair and made some good contacts. Shuttled over to Mainz-Kastel where Lew works so I could pick up the car. Then drove myself and a few others to a Wine Tasting/Flute Concert/Tour of the Kloster Eberbach Winery. That was fun! It's too bad Lew decided not to go.

Yesterday we hit two Easter Markets - Bierstadt and Wiesbaden. Then dinner at one of our favorite places: The Rhein-Main Grill. While strolling through downtown, I picked up a German-English copy of the film "African Queen" which I have surprisingly never seen! I've been reading a book by Katharine Hepburn about her experiences making this film. It really helped to fill in some gaps.

So today we are getting ready to hash. It's Sunday and one of the last Sunday hashes until they switch to Monday nights for the warmer months. Don't know how easy that will be to fit into the work week schedule but with longer light, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Miss everyone very much!

Jaime and Lew

No comments: